Common tax questions

We answer lots of tax questions on any given day, here's a list of the more common questions we hear. If you have a question that's not here, LiveChat with us!

WooHoo is that moment when something unexpectedly great happens. Like when you get a big wad of cash refunded from NZ Tax Refunds. One part Woo. One part Hoo. Say it with us, folks: WooHoo!

With 93% of our customers having over paid their tax in the last 5 years your chances are high. However it does depend on a variety of personal factors, such as duration of work, income levels, family status etc. We use all the information you provide us along with the information we receive from Inland Revenue to calculate if you’re owed a refund during the last 5 years.

You can apply now for your 2018 WooHoo tax refund!

We should be able to estimate tax refunds in late April, after all the employers have submitted the tax information for all their employees for the previous tax year.

We're able to pay 2018 tax refunds around Mid June, when the IRD releases all the tax refunds. WooHoo!

The 2018 tax year is from the 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018.

Claiming your refund from IRD is simple! Fill in our online tax refund application - it only takes a few minutes to complete and within 60 seconds our market leading software Alpha can tell you how much you're owed.

If you experience any problems please fill out the enquiry form on the contact page.

If you have been registered with another tax agency completing this form will delink you from that agency and link* you to our agency so we can provide you with the best service possible.

* Linking with a tax agency gives them authorisation to act on your behalf with the IRD. It also gives them access to your income information and history stored at the IRD.

If you would like to apply for an IRD refund on behalf of someone else you must hold power of attorney for them. If this is the case please contact the office on 0800 030405 and we will be able to assist you manually.

You must be 16 or over in order to apply for a WooHoo.

Everybody's tax refund is different and until you provide us with the information specified in the form we are unable to accurately calculate what you're owed.

On average, Kiwis have overpaid their tax by $400 over the last five years. Our largest tax refund paid out was a massive $36,600! WooHoo!

All you need to provide is your IRD number and driver licence details another form of photo ID. With your consent we're able to access your income details from Inland Revenue and carry out all the hard work for you. If we do require any further details we will get in touch using the details you supplied. 

Our aim is to ensure that your IRD tax refund and any other money owed to you at the IRD will be in your bank account within 3 working days of you submitting your completed online application form.

To receive your funds in just 3 working days you must supply all the information requested on the online form and the information must be accurate - therefore you must supply the correct bank account details, driver licence details and IRD number, as standard payment is made by direct bank transfer only.

The 3 day payment promise does not apply if:

  • You are registered for Working for Families Tax Credits
  • Have debts with Inland Revenue
  • Pay child support
  • Are required to file an IR3

This is because your personal circumstances require a more detailed calculation to determine your tax refund status. The 3 day payment only applies for regular personal tax summaries. The 3 working day payment promise is subject to Inland Revenue availability. Working days are Monday to Friday and exclude public holidays.

Yes. We can claim your donations tax credit at the same time or separate to your tax return you just need to send us your receipts of your donations with your IRD (Inland Revenue Department) number.

There is a fee associated with filing for your donations tax credits. Which is currently $25 per year, per filing. This is because we need to make an individual claim for each tax year.

Short answer, yes!

People's situations change. If you've moved house, changed your phone numbers or email address we need to keep your details updated. You can simply log in to the WooHoo Mobile App, or our website to update your details. Alternatively you can always give our friendly team a call on 0800 03 04 05.

We do not process your future tax years until we have had contact with you. This is because you may have different details that we need to calculate your maximum refund.

We try to make contact with all of our customers after the 1st of April but it doesn't hurt to give us a call to make sure we have all your contact information up to date.

We operate a no refund no fee policy for our PTS service, this means if you are not due a tax refund you will not be charged. Guaranteed!

Our fees are 19.5% of the tax refund to a maximum fee of $400 per year and a minimum fee of $19 per year.

All mobile app users now receive a low fee of 14%, with a maximum fee of $300 per year!

For school children there’s only a $25 maximum fee per refund, with a minimum fee of $19 per refund.

We automatically deduct our fees from your refund prior to the balance being paid to you.

If you need to file an income tax return we have a different set of prices available. All of which are available on our fees page.

If you would like a cheque cancelled we pass on the fee charged to us by our bank. This is $35.

Did you know our fees are 100% deductible expenses? This means you can claim the expense against your income in the following year and you will get a bigger refund.

Other services we provide to you as your tax agent include tax code assistance, working for families details updated with Inland Revenue, Inland Revenue debt assistance, and many other general queries. We do NOT charge for these services.

If your tax situation is slightly more complicated then we may be required to file an IR3, on your behalf.

Our fee structure for filing an IR3 is available on our pricing page.

Once we have obtained all the information we file your IR3 with the IRD. This process can take the IRD up to 12 weeks to process. In most cases this is complete in 4-6 weeks.

It means that within 60 seconds of submitting a completed online application form you'll be able to see whether you're owed a tax refund during the last 5 years. We can make this promise thanks to our market leading software - Alpha.

In order for us to fulfil the 60 second promise you must apply on-line. You must supply the correct IRD number and valid driver's licence details. You must enter your name as stated on your Inland Revenue records. Does not apply to travellers, or those with student loans, or those receiving Working for Families tax credits, or those with any additional income such asinterest/dividends/MAD (Maori Authority Distributions) and schedular income. The Inland Revenue website must be live and your record accessible. The Veda website must be live. 

We transfer your tax refund from our trust account directly into the bank account details you provide to us when you apply.

Please note the following in regards to bank transfers:

  • Bank transfers can take up to 3 days to process, depending on your bank.
  • We can only pay your refund into a bank account in your name, whether it be your account or a joint account.
  • The name on your bank account must match your records at the IRD.
  • If you have changed your name for any reason (eg. Marriage) then you will need to speak with one of our tax experts to make sure everything is updated and correct both here and at the IRD.

We are able to post a cheque, although this bank transfers are much faster and more secure.

Please note the following in regards to cheques:

  • If you are requesting your refund from us by cheque we will charge you an additional $5 fee for postal security. All cheques are now posted out by courier, for your safety.
  • If you would like a cheque cancelled we will pass on the $35 fee, charged to us by our bank, onto you.
  • The cheque can take up to 15 days to arrive at your specified address, should you wish to pick up your cheque from our Christchurch office you will need photo ID.
  • If you do not have a bank account you will not be able to cash a cheque, please make sure you have a New Zealand bank account to avoid any issues.
  • If you have moved or returned overseas, we can transfer your tax refund into an international bank account, this will incur an additional $25 fee, which is charged to us by our bank. We do not post cheques overseas.

Everybody has different personal circumstances which can affect the amount of tax they have to pay, such as some people have more than one job, more than one child and make donations. On the plus side it means that you have not over paid your tax across the year.

We suggest you talk to our IR3 tax specialists on 0800 03 04 05 as you are required to file a different tax return. They will ask you for relevant information that could maximise your refund.

When you apply with us we are able to calculate if you have any tax owing or are due a refund.

In a situation with tax owing we will not proceed with your tax refund claim for that year; this will therefore not create a debt with Inland Revenue. As we operate a no refund, no fee policy we will not charge you for this service.

If you have previously filed a tax return or have made a request for a PTS (Personal Tax Summary) with Inland Revenue and discovered you owe them money, unfortunately you will have to pay it.

We can help you apply for an arrangement to re-pay your debt or, if you meet the criteria, the IRD may write the debt off. We can assist with this application for no additional fee.

Yes. Anyone can talk to Inland Revenue about their own tax affairs, however, as a customer of WooHoo we can assist you with your tax affairs and deal with the IRD on your behalf, saving you the hassle of being on hold, WooHoo!

The IRD suggest on their website that you speak to an accountant or tax agent such as ourselves.

When we receive the correspondence from IRD it is scanned and attached to your file. We then send you a notification so you can log in to your secure account to view it.

After we have attached the documents to your file they are promptly shredded to keep your information safe!

It's more than likely you will. However it does depend if the children are still dependent, under 18 years old and still at school. It also depends how many hours you and your husband/wife/partner are working and whether you have received all your family support entitlements.

Therefore it's important that all the details you give us about your family are accurate. You can always call us on 0800 03 04 05 to update any family details.

We are unable to deal with child support on a customer's behalf. If you owe child support you will need to contact IRD Child Support directly.

If your child is at preschool, or you're paying voluntary school fees, you are able to claim a tax credit for any fees paid up until April 1st 2012. We require receipts for each year.

If you were at school and working previous to 2013 then you may be entitled to a tax refund. 95% of our customers who were secondary school students and working before 2013 have overpaid their tax!

As of 2013, there is no longer child tax. However, if you are not due a refund we won't charge you a cent, so check now to see if you have a WooHoo waiting!

We can still process your NZ Tax Refund; however we do require a copy of the boarding pass and a copy of your passport showing the exit stamp.

If you make a claim prior to your departure we also require a confirmed date and fully paid itinerary from a travel agent, this will act as proof of your departure.

If you are leaving NZ permanently we will need proof of your earnings for the current tax year.

We will simply become your new tax agent if you choose to use NZ Tax Refunds, we would love to have you as a valued customer.

This will mean you will be de-linked from your previous tax agent and linked to us, which is a great move as we are New Zealand's most preferred tax refund company! WooHoo!

By completing an application for a tax refund with us you're appointing NZ Tax Refunds as your tax agent until further notice.

If you change your mind or wish to revoke that appointment you can advise us any time that you no longer wish us to be your tax agent.

If you choose to remove NZ Tax Refunds as your tax agent after we've advised you of your expected refund (meaning we've already filed your personal tax summary with the IRD) you will be liable for payment of our fee. View our fee structure.

Please note: After you've advised us that you wish to delink us as your tax agent you'll need to contact the IRD directly to update your contact details and bank account information. We won't be able to make these changes for you if we're not your tax agent.